Theory Test

The United Kingdom you need to pass the Theory Test as part of the process to obtain a full driving licence.
Different theory tests are available for users of different vehicles, from car drivers, to motorcyclists and HGV drivers.

The recommended reading books are The Highway Code, Know Your Traffic Signs & Driving The Essential Skills.

You need to pass the Theory Test before you are able to book your driving test.

The Theory test in in 2 part – Multiple Choice and the Hazard Perception

Here is a link to the You Tube DVSA Video explaining the Theory test

The Theory Test costs £23 and you can book it by clicking here This will take you to the Official DVSA booking Page
You can also contact the DVSA to book online by phoning 0300 200 1122

BEWARE OF BOOKING AGENTS – they charge a booking fee.
The Car Theory test can only be taken at an official DVSA test centre.

The Theory Test consists of two parts;

1) 50 Multiple Choice Questions

2) Hazard Perception Test comprising 14 video clips, each clip lasting around a minute. You will find a total of 15 hazards.

You have to pass both multiple choice and hazard perception parts at the same test appointment to attain an overall pass.

Should you pass one part, but fail the other, you will need to book another appointment to take both elements of the test again.

The test is completed under exam conditions in a dedicated Theory Test centre entirely on a touch screen computer (you have the choice of utilizing a mouse should you prefer!). Headphones will have to be used throughout the entire test.

A voiceover may be requested where the questions and answers are automatically read out to help individuals with reading difficulties, or for whom English isn’t their first language.

Who has to take a Theory Test?

If you’re learner driver you have to take and pass your theory test before you book your practical test. If you currently have a driving licence you might not have to take another theory test in order to start driving a different vehicle.

UK Licence Holders – you have to take a theory test if you want a licence for a new group of vehicle, for example, for those who have a car licence and you also want a motorcycle licence you will have to take a theory test. If, however, you would like to upgrade within a vehicle category you will not normally have to take a theory test, for instance, for those who have a full automatic car licence and you also want a manual car licence you won’t have to take a theory test. It’s your responsibility to ensure you possess the correct licence for the vehicle you’re driving

Foreign Licence Holders –

EEA Countries – In the event you hold a valid Community licence and you’re simply visiting the United Kingdom, you can drive any vehicle so long as your licence remains valid. The correct full entitlement for the vehicle you intend to drive must be shown on your licence.

Non EEA Countries – Should you hold a full driving licence issued outside the EEA it might be possible to change it for an equivalent British licence. You need to contact the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) to discover if you are able to exchange your foreign licence.

In the event you cannot exchange your foreign licence you will need to apply for a British provisional licence and take a theory and practical test